Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Cheese Monkeys

Seeing how my copy of The Cheese Monkeys has yet to arrive from Amazon.com, I am going to spend this paragraph analyzing the first couple of pages I could scam off the internet and pay tribute to the books unique look. The first paragraph of the book grabbed my attention. It uses words like, "Three thousand Guatemalan dirt pigs," and somehow finds a way to mention cuticles and God all in the same sentence. Looking through a historical lens, the book states that the time period is 1957. Other allusions to the time period of the story are referenced when the author says that he, "Was quite pleased with a drawing in green pencil [he] did on the margin of a page in [his] dreary Civics textbook of Mickey Mouse (from the Steamboat Willy era)..." As I proceed to the fourth page I start to notice the narrator's whitty, sarcastic tone of voice with undertones of longing to be something different but not knowing what to do with himself. He even compares himself to a, "Reliable old sedan," when talking about the relationship he has with his parents. I expect that this book will be much more unique that your classic old school Jane Austen novel or a straitforward romantic comedy. I chose to read this book mostly because of its unique look, but also because the reading style looked similar to that of Jonathan Safran Foer. Both books use visual elements to contribute to the overall asthetics of the book. What also drew me in to this book was the title. I mean, The Cheese Monkeys? What does that even mean? The title coupled with the fact that the side of the book holds a hidden message makes me want to crack open the rest of the book and see what's inside.

1 comment:

  1. The title really confused me for a while too, until if I remember correctly, he is viewing a piece of art titled "the cheese monkeys" and he found that to be hilarious

    ReplyDelete